Social Networking!!

I'm sure you have all heard the news about how children are being victimized by adults using social networking sites like MySpace or how young adults are shamelessly sharing personal information for the whole world to see (Colleges are starting to look at the sites for admissions purposes). I decided to see what the hub-bub was about and get my own MySpace account. What an interesting experience!!

After only have an account for three weeks, I decided to be bold enough to add my high school graduation information. To my surprise, I was automatically added to a group of fellow alumni and was even reunited with several friends I'd lost contact with. I LOVE THE INTERNET!

Are there inherant dangers with these social networking sites? Absolutely yes! But should they be banned?

A new piece of legislation(5/9/06) has been introduced in Congress to block all social networking sites from any school or library who recieves universal support services from the Federal government (E-rate money). Washington Times Article. Actual Legislation from THOMAS at Library of Congress. Now to be fair, the legislation would create an oversite committee to determine what gets blocked and what doesn't.

Believe it or not, this just might affect some Lutheran schools. There are quite a few schools in the St. Louis area that this would apply to.

Should you write your congressman??? Is it your job as a coordiantor in a Lutheran school to determine what gets blocked and what doesn't? Or is that the governments job?

Just a thought

Rob Jacklin

No comments: