So is it over yet?

Now that all the boycotts are done and elected officials have taken their names off of sponsorship lists, does that mean that all the hubbub about SOPA and PIPA is done? I think this video presentation by Clay Shirky, from a recent TED event, answers that question.

Full disclosure: I really enjoy listening to Clay. I've read both of this books "Here Comes Everybody," and "Cognitive Surplus" and have admittedly "drank the Kool-Aid" if you will. If anyone disagrees with his assessment of the situation, I'm open to hearing your opinion, but I think he does a splendid job of explaining the major issues with the legislation and the back-story that goes along with them.

All the more reason to involved with teaching our kids about joys of creating and using Creative Commons licensed content!


2 comments:

Mister S said...

So is it over yet? No. There will be another bill that seeks to accomplish the same purpose with different legal language.

Bottom line, it all boils down to the 7th Commandment.

I think teachers/administrators need to actively model ethical use of media to their students and faculties. Sometimes we "give in" to breaking this commandment for our own convenience. Other times, we simply don't realize what we're doing is wrong. (It's not legal? Why is it on the internet then?)

Creative Commons is a great alternative. I wish more teachers would consider and implement this content, but I suspect there are many teachers who simply don't understand the differences or aren't aware of the availability of these resources.

Rob Jacklin said...

Completely agree. As Christians it is more than an ethical or legal issue. Thanks for framing this argument in terms of the 7th Commandment, because I think that's the correct lens to view this through.