My ultimate take-away....

Just finished up meeting with the LCMS Lutheran Schools Technology Cabinet. What an engaging time of thought and planning. I'm truly awed by the commitment to quality Lutheran education by everyone involved.

As we began our last day, Pastor Bill Bartlett from Crean Lutheran High School in Irvine, CA opened up with a short devotion centered around the theme of the Transfiguration as being a door to Lent. A couple of thoughts really stuck with me during that time:

1. Exodus 34:29-"When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. As teachers, are we aware that being the presence of God through prayer and study is important? Not I mean really? Do your students see your face gleaming from being the presence of God? Of all the things we can do for our students, cultivating and tending a personal spiritual relationship is key.

2. Are you weary and burdened? Are you busy? I mean, really busy? I can vouch for the business for some of the people on the cabinet. It is so easy to balk at the challenges of our ministry, especially the challenge of time. Bill shared this quote with us from author Anne Graham Lotz that was very uplifting:
My duties and responsibilities at times seem overwhelming and my schedule is overfilled. But, I don’t want a vacation, I don’t want to quit, I don’t want sympathy, I don’t want money, I don’t want recognition, I don’t want to escape, I don’t even want a miracle! Just give me Jesus.
I won't try to dissect that quote. It pretty well stands on its own. The power of cross is enough.

As we prepare to enter the season of Lent, and thanks Bill for helping us do that, it is important to refocus and acknowledge that thing that makes our Lutheran schools distinct...Jesus.

image: Rough Cross 2 by Flickr User: Transguyjay. Used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 License

3 comments:

David said...

My challenge is to remember that quote when I get back to school tomorrow morning.

Todd said...

Love the quote!

online pharmacy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.