Technology Current Events

I've decided to add a component to my "computer class" with my 5th-8th grade students for the second semester, and I tried today with the kids. It was pretty well received and I hope to continue it every Friday during the second semester.

Technology Current Events!!!

I started with two online news articles and one YouTube video (unfortunately they weren't related topics, but there was something for everyone :-)

1. 3-D Printing!


2. ZCam
3. The Year of the Cell Phone

Why current events? Well, students are sponges when it comes to the new technologies and it gives us an opportunity to introduce things the first time before they find them on their own and misuse or abuse them. I don't think that is the case with any of these topics, but that type of conversation is always good to have.

I also think students need permission sometimes to be creative and not think about what we WANT them to think about. These new technologies, or ideas about technologies, give us an opportunity to ask questions like: "Ok, what is the next possible step for that...(whatever it is)? Or what are the dangers or advantages to that...(whatever it is)? What kind of college degree do you think you'd need to make that, or invent that? What do you think could be improved or changed?

Learning is a lot about conversation and I believe these conversations are valuable for our kids!

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

David said...

This is a great idea! Are you using this more as an introduction for students to new technologies, or is there an assessment involved as well?

What other ideas do you have for this type of current events program?

Rob Jacklin said...

So far it is all introduction. Unscientifically measured, I've got about 95% attention rate of the class on the days I've done it so far. The kids like the 'wow' factor. So, NO, no assessment so far. It was a way for me to get some our kids thinking about why they should look into programming, C.S. jobs, etc.

Honestly, I haven't thought all the way through a "program" so to speak. If my principal sat me down and said what exactly are you doing, here's what I'd say:
1. Reading, viewing, or listening to technology news.
2. Before, during, and after, I'm asking questions like: How do you think this will impact YOUR future? What do you think are some possible societal outcomes because we have this new technology? Does this new technology piece have faith implications? What is the next logical future step for this invention?
3. Questions lead to valuable class discussion about important technology topics that go directly back to our curriculum and ISTE Standards.

I'm glad you made me think through that Dave!!!! Assessment is typically a struggle piece for me. I set this up to be a free explore time without the boundries of rigorous grading.

Thanks again! I can always count on you to push me! :-)

David said...

I really like the four questions you have listed. Those are good, thought-provoking questions -- very appropriate for Lutheran education and education as a whole.

As far as assessment, sometimes I think we fall into the trap that everything must have a formal assessment. That isn't necessarily true. But thinking about assessment will ensure that we have thought through the goals of the activity and that it will be a productive assignment rather than simply a wild chase through cyberspace.